How to change responsibility on an account (transfer service)

To change the owner of a Brightspeed account to a new person, you need to ask us to complete a change of responsibility. There are a few criteria you'll need to meet in order to make an account transfer.

If you know that you meet the criteria to change ownership of your account, you can go ahead and contact us to start the transfer.

If you need to manage an account for someone who has passed away, or if your own name has legally changed, please contact us for help.

Are you eligible to make changes to the account?

In order to make any changes to an account, you must be authorized on that account by one of the following ways:

  • Your name appears on the bill, and the account is set up as "joint"
  • You have been authorized by the account holder to make changes to the account.

Is the account eligible to be transferred?

To transfer ownership of an account, all four of these conditions must be met:

  1. The account has no past due charges or restrictions.

  2. Both the original account holder and the new owner verbally agree to the transfer. (Note: Written consent is required in Iowa.)

  3. The new owner meets our credit policy guidelines. This means we might run a credit check on that person, which could result in an extra charge.

  4. The new owner agrees to take over your service as-is. Any changes, including moving service to a different address, can be made only after the account has been transferred. 

In some states, the new and existing owner must be members of the same household. 

If you or the new owner don't meet one or more of the above criteria, you will need to cancel your service and the new owner will order new service.

Account ownership for spouses or partners

A spouse or domestic partner can be named as a Responsible Party on an account. 

  • When both spouses or partners are named as responsible parties on the account, if you want to change the account so that just one of you is responsible, please contact us.

  • If one spouse or partner is named on the account, if you want to switch to the other person, please contact us for a change of responsibility. Both people must agree to the change.

  • In the case of a divorce decree that requires one spouse to pay the bill, you might want to ask for a change of responsibility to put the account in that person's name only, removing the other person.

Who can initiate the account transfer?

Either you or the new account holder can request the account transfer. The sequence of actions will vary slightly, depending on who makes the request.

If you initiate the transfer...

  1. We'll contact the new owner to confirm the transfer.

  2. If we can't reach the new owner, the transfer request will be put on hold.

  3. If we don't hear back from the new customer within 10 days, we'll contact you to cancel the transfer request.

  4. If you wish, we can then schedule for your service to be canceled.

If the new owner initiates the transfer...

  1. We'll contact you to confirm the transfer.

  2. If we can't reach you, the transfer request will be put on hold.

  3. If we don't hear back from you within 10 days, we'll cancel the transfer request.
  4. We'll contact the new customer to say that the account will remain in your name until you contact us and confirm you want it transferred.

Was this page helpful?