Your modem's firmware is the software that is installed and controls it. To maintain modems operating at their peak performance and provide new features, firmware is updated on a regular basis. Through the Brightspeed network, updates are carried out automatically, so you typically never have to worry about them. If your modem isn't functioning properly, you can log into the modem settings and make sure the firmware is completely up to current. Before you begin, bear the following in mind:
• For the most dependable internet connection, we advise using an Ethernet cable to connect your device directly to your modem. You can use a wireless (WiFi) connection if this isn't an option.
• You do not need to first make a backup of your custom modem settings because updating the firmware will not wipe them out.
NOTE: Depending on your model, your modem's user interface may appear slightly different from the images below.
RECOMMENDED COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs)
RAM: 16 GB
Network adapter (naming device varies): 1000 Mbps, 1000baseTx, or GigE
1. Connect a device, such as a computer or tablet, to the internet through WiFi or using an Ethernet cable connected to your modem.
2. Open a web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 into the web address field.
3. Log in to the modem's settings interface (Modem GUI) using your Admin Username and Admin Password. Note that these are different from your wireless network name (SSID) and WiFi password (security key).
4. Select the Utilities icon in the main menu.
5. Select "Upgrade Firmware" in the left sidebar.
6. Check the "Upgrade Status" area.
7. To update the firmware, first you'll download the file to your computer. Select "Download" on the Upgrade Firmware screen.
8. Follow your browser's prompts to save the file using "Save as."
9. Select "Desktop" (or choose another folder if you prefer), then click "Save." The downloaded firmware file is now saved on your computer.
10. Next, you'll install the firmware file you saved in the previous step by browsing to it. Select "Browse" on the Upgrade Firmware screen.
11. Find the folder on your computer where you saved the file in step 9. Select the firmware file, then click "Open."
12. Select "Upgrade Firmware" to start the update.
13. The screen will show you the progress of the upgrade installation. This step will take about 2 minutes.
14. Next, you'll see a screen telling you that the modem is rebooting. This step will take about 3 minutes. As the modem reboots, you will briefly lose your internet connection, including WiFi.
15. Once the upgrade is complete, you will be taken back to the main Modem GUI Login screen. Wait 2-5 minutes for the DSL and internet lights on the modem to turn green before trying to browse to a webpage to test that your connection is good.
If the internet light doesn't turn green, check our modem lights guide for troubleshooting help.
If you need further assistance, contact our technical support team. We're here to help.
View all Modem/Router topics
Was this page helpful?
Brightspeed services support